Tuesday 9 January 2018

Archer, Season 5 (2014)


Going into season five of Archer, I knew two things about it:


  1. It was generally considered weaker than the preceding 4 seasons; and
  2. It saw Archer and his colleagues shift their activities from espionage to organised crime. 


Now I'm not sure if it was lowered expectations from the first point, or simply not being blind-sided by the second, or perhaps a combo of the two, but I had a thoroughly good time.

I mean sure, I can definitely see why you might get whiplash if you went in blind.  The changes could easily be pretty jarring if you aren't expecting them.  Not only do the gang move into a new industry but three of the characters go through pretty major changes (while at the same time, paradoxically not actually changing at all).  The status is not quo, and yet it is.

There are certain jokes that are ridden a little too hard and too long in this season, and I can also see that being an issue, as well, but even those I ultimately felt mostly had pay-offs that worked.

Crass, brash and not afraid to mercilessly lampoon its main cast (who, let's face it, thoroughly deserve every bad thing that ever happens to them), Archer season five is more of the same thing they've been doing all along, while at the time being not at all what they've been doing before now.  That's worthy of the tip of my hat, I think.


No comments:

Post a Comment