Monday 2 January 2017

Mythica: The Godslayer (2016)



The Lich King's hordes are overrunning the world.  Our ragged band of heroes have been rent apart; some staying to lead the doomed resistance to the undead onslaught, the others desperately seeking the one weapon which might allow them to break the Lich King's power before he murders everyone in the world, kills the gods, or both.

The Mythica films have generally followed a pattern of the odd-numbered entries being stronger than the even-numbered ones.  I'm pleased to say that the fifth and final volume mostly follows that pattern.  I say 'mostly' because it's definitely not a flawless film: there's a plotline about the main character being tempted by the villain that I think is handled a bit clumsily, and the final act is a too drawn out.  It is however really nice to see the ambition shown here.  That's something that I felt was lacking from the fourth film, and when a film's flaws stem from it really trying to be something special - as I feel is the case here - then I'm much more inclined to like it than when I don't feel it is trying in the first place.

The Godslayer signals its intentions from the opening scene, with a strongly executed battle scene.  Any scene involving many people is a challenging thing to do on a small budget, and to mix that with convincing fight choreography is an impressive achievement.  Bravo to the Arrowstorm team for that!

Bravo too for Melanie Stone, who does a grand job as Marek, the film's central hero and possible doom of the gods.  While I found the storyline of Marek's temptation by the Lich King to be a bit clumsily written, Stone sells the emotional conflict of the character well.

The whole cast is good, in fact.  Having seen many other examples of indie film-making where the acting rarely even aspires to the giddy heights of mediocrity, it's a real credit to the production that all the performances here are solid, even amongst the minor players.

I'm certainly not sorry that I got aboard the Mythica bandwagon back when the series began, and I look forward to seeing what the people involved produce in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment